Fabric Haul

Hello all!
I've recently bought a load of cool fabrics so I thought I'd show them off and share my ideas behind them.





Mosaic Print Georgette

First off, we have this rather funkadelic pink mosaic-style print.



I'd love to make something similar to the way it's draped here, a full on 1970's style maxi dress/jumpsuit with proper big sleeves and everything. I'm just so in love with the quirkiness of the print. I mean, look at that face:


Unfortunately, I only got 1m of it, so a flare-sleeved maxi dress doesn't seem very likely, unless I go backless (I could go backless...). I had been thinking of a fitted skirt before I draped it, but now I'm inclining towards a batwing top or something...hmmmm.

Blue Faux Leather

Because why settle for a normal coloured faux leather, when you can have electric blue, quilted faux leather?


It came pre-quilted - ain't no way I could sew this straight, or have the patience to do so!


I'm thinking pencil skirt for this, perhaps with panels of diagonal and panels of horizontal/vertical quilting.

Patterned Pleather Jersey

Having only recently made 2 things from leather look jersey (Vampire Jacket and Pleather Trousers), it looks like I'm developing a taste for the stuff now I've bought this wet-look/leather-look jersey.


This needs to be made into something gloriously gothic, involving an oversized hood. If there's enough fabric, I think these would make some pretty cool trousers too, though they'd have some stiff competition as I'm so damn happy with my new embossed pleather trousers.



A closer look at the pattern.

Brown Suedette

And here we have some satin-backed brown faux suede.


A simpler looking fabric than the others, but pretty cool none the less! I think the main challenge with this is making sure it doesn't give off cowgirl or Flintstone vibes...




Even the backing is pretty nice. My thought for this is to make a brown pencil skirt to go with a brown lace top I've been working on (stay tuned for that!) though in writing this post I'm realising that pencil skirt appears to be my go to design. Bearing in mind I don't even wear skirts, I feel like maybe I should branch out a bit more. But not for this one, because this one should be a pencil skirt...


Antique Map Chiffon

Saving my favourite till last! This is a chiffon with an antique style map print of Europe.
I do have a bit of a thing for old maps. I'm half tempted to just attach some of this to some canvas and hang it on the wall. But nah don't want to waste it on décor when it could be making clothes!


I do quite like the idea I ended up draping here, of a toga style draped one shoulder dress (I should say here that I just draped all of these fabrics completely randomly on the mannequin, I just generally ended up liking how they looked). 


However, awesome as this print is, the colours don't really suit me. My theory on combating this is just to minimise the amount of fabric near to my face, so any form of pleating or gathering on the bodice should be avoided. I think we've already established that it'd be pretty uninspired to make a skirt, so obviously that's not an option. I'm thinking dress with well fitted bodice, leading to flowy skirt kinda thing.

And that's it! Since writing this out, I've already started working with a couple of these fabrics (but which?! woah the suspense) so maybe you'll see them on the blog or my Instagram sometime soon. Though fabric hoarder that I am, there's every chance that at least one of these won't be seen again until the wardrobe eventually collapses from the weight of all the fabrics crammed in there.

Comments

Popular Posts