Burda 6898 Velvet Suit - Part 2 (Trousers & Bow Tie)

Burda 6898 sewing pattern jacket trousers pants bow tie


Hello all!

Following on from my Tuxedo Jacket blog post a couple of weeks ago, here is Part 2 of my velvet suit project.

For the trousers, I also used the Burda 6898 pattern I'd used for the jacket. I've used this trouser pattern once before and really liked it (they'll be on the blog eventually, I swear...) though in a non-stretch material. I followed what I'd done last time, as I'd made a few fitting adjustments, but inevitably the fact that the second pair were in a stretch material meant that they required a different fit, as they ended up looking a little baggier than desired. I took in the trouser sides quite a bit as I wanted a slim fit, but by this point, I was working quite close to the deadline. I didn't have time to unpick the waistband to take in the side hems at the top, so this part didn't get much adjustment.

Burda 6898 sewing pattern pants trousers dressmakingAs I mentioned in my other post, I would like to go back and fix the issues with the jacket at some point, and this is the same with the trousers. Though they're perfectly wearable at the moment, I think with a couple of hours' work, these could be really awesome and flattering.

Burda 6898 sewing pattern pants dressmaking

Burda 6898 sewing pattern pants back

The bow tie was surprisingly straightforward to make. I used a pattern from Tie-A-Tie and had this baby done in less than an hour. The only pain is turning the tie out after sewing - that's probably where the majority of my time went.

Black velvet bow tie sewing blog

I'm actually pretty happy with the bow tie, and unlike the other 2 items I made for this outfit, it doesn't need any amendments (happy days!)! In fact, I have now developed a new-found love of bow ties. On top of looking awesome, they barely need any fabric, so it's a great way to use up scraps.

Comments

  1. The bow tie is a very nice touch (recommend hemostats to turn shapes like this through to the right side). I hope you enjoyed wearing the whole "Me Make" at the event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the tip, I'll have to give them a try! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts