Print Suit Part 1 - Trousers (B6898)

Burda 6989 sewing pattern patterned pants dressmaking


I have long been a lover of tailoring, yet I realised when I started this project back in September (God I'm slow!) that I didn't even own a suit, or have any real experience in tailoring. In between starting this project and now, I managed to make the Velvet Suit as well, but this one came first! This has been sitting in my wardrobe for about 3 months, waiting desperately for some sunshine and some other me-made items to pair it with.



But how can it be so difficult to coordinate an outfit for a suit, you ask. Well, that might have something to do with the ridiculously garish fabric I chose to use. It's a cotton satin with a paisley-type print on a goldey-beige background. I knew I needed it in my life the moment I saw it.


I realise this fabric isn't exactly what most people would have in mind when they think of a suit, but I think print suits are something the world needs more of. I was quite inspired by outfits like the below, which I wrote about last June in my short-lived Fashion Fridays.


Dolce & Gabbana Fall 2017 Ready-To-Wear (image taken from vogue)




There are more inspiration images on my Pinterest board.

I started with the trousers (or pants, for those who use American English...). I had considered self-drafting the pattern, but I thought I'd better get some practice actually making trousers before I try and design them from scratch. The pattern I used was Burda B6898, which was the same pattern I then used for the velvet suit trousers (these were the ones I mentioned in the post, that had already been made).




For some reason, I didn't take any pictures while making the trousers until the last few steps, so forgive me if there are any omissions!


First off, I made very basic toile of just the front/back legs and hip yoke to check the fit . They were a fair bit too baggy, and wanting to do things accurately, I unpicked the seams, and redid them in the size below (which was the smallest size the pattern came in). They were still a bit baggy at points, but now a bit too tight around the posterior. Given that the fabric I'd be working with had absolutely no stretch, tightness was something I wanted to avoid as much as bagginess. So I customised the pattern to start with a size 10 at the waist, going down to just below an 8 toward the ankle. Third time's the charm, these gave the fit I was looking for.


Here's a picture of the pattern laid out, complete with my version of fabric weights.




Overall, the pattern was pretty straightforward to follow - don't think there were any issues on that front. Here's an exciting shot of the leg cuff about to be sewn. I hand-sewed these down using a blind stitch. 


Another action shot, this time of the belt loops. With hindsight, I feel like I could have omitted this step. As I don't really wear belts, it would have given a much given a much smoother line to just have the waist band. But this is more me being a perfectionist than this being an actual problem.


Aaaand that's all I can think to say, so here's some pictures of the trousers on me!

Burda 6898 sewing pattern print trousers pants

Burda 6898 sewing pattern print pants floral paisley dressmaking



Comments

Popular Posts