Crossover Halterneck Top

Hi guys,
So today this is just going to be a quick post about a top I made on the spur of the moment last week.


I've been trying to work through my mountainous stash of fabric recently, whilst simultaneously trying to make clothes I might actually wear, so I've been particularly focusing on various jersey fabrics leftover from other projects, as they lend themselves to more comfortable, casual clothing.

I had about half a metre left of blue jersey fabric from my RAF dress, which I randomly draped on my mannequin and, as tends to be the case with me, liked the first thing I did so just ran with that. 



I have really been loving crossover halternecks recently, so thought it would be fun to give one a try. Even though I'm aware that fabric that close to my neck doesn't tend to suit me. Yes, I said wearable, but since when does "wearable" have to actually be wearable, you know?


1950s style crossover halterneck sewing draping

As this was just a quick project, I didn't bother with drafting a pattern, or making my draping too precise; I just pinned it together so that it looked symmetrical to the eye, took it off the mannequin, and sewed it up as-is, with a rectangular piece for the back. It certainly is not my finest handiwork, and my slap-dash approach is definitely evident, at least in my eyes, as the key hole cutout didn't end up symmetrical (shocking, I know), and it's just a tiny bit too tight, but I do really like the general effect, and would love to give this design a proper go sometime in the future. 

Anyway, here's a sexy mannequin shot of the finished thing to tide you over until I get some proper photos done :)


1950s vintage style sewing dressmaking draping

Comments

Popular Posts